Ahh working from home. A luxury many of us may now have for the first time ever. Now that almost everyone is home due to Coronavirus, it’s important to consistently share experiences, keep spirits high and communicate best practices for staying strong and being productive at home.
Although working from home gives somewhat of a break with regard to office atmospheres, long commutes and less $ eating out, it also comes with it’s struggles. Some may find it hard to concentrate, some may get distracted or be lazy and some may go crazy being around family all day when trying to get some work done. But that doesn’t mean we can’t overcome these obstacles!
Here’s a few ideas for staying productive when working from home:
- Get up at the same time everyday
- Get a workout in
- Make yourself a healthy and filling breakfast
- Take a hot shower!
- Get dressed. One of my biggest tips for being productive at home is to get dressed as if you are leaving your home. This will greatly increase your energy and automatically keep you more motivated throughout the day. And yes – hair and makeup too!
- Connect with loved ones via Facetime or text message. Now’s the time to spread positive vibes and love to those in our lives.
- Make yourself a proper work station at a desk or table in your house. Make sure you have all your tech equipment, that your desk is setup as ergonomically as possible and that you are near natural light if you can manage it. I put some succulents around my setup to add a little fun decor. Water and snacks are also important!
- Take breaks throughout the day when needed. Since you aren’t able to walk around the office like usual, your activity level will be lower. Try to stretch your legs and walk around a bit inside to keep your body moving.
- Eat lunch away from your desk to normalize work-life separation just as you do at work.
- Make sure to keep track of your hours as it may be easier to keep working without realizing what time it is. It’s important to work at a pace that is best for you and knowing when it’s time to close out for the day.
To elaborate on a few of these points;
Working out at Home
I’m a huge advocate for working out at home! In fact, my sole-source of exercising comes from at-home workouts and fitness apps. The best part about working out at home is flexibility with your schedule, the convenience of being in a comfortable location and the amount of money you save!
Here are my favorite fitness Apps:
- Tone It Up – My favorite fitness app of all time! Tone It Up is great for the girl on the go who values health and exercise but only has 20 minutes or less to get in a workout. They have on-demand classes tailored for every type of exercise and have amazing workout programs you can choose based on your own personal fitness goals. The best part is that it’s only $12.99 a month! Can’t beat that.
- Beachbody – This on-demand platform is for the more intense, long workouts at home. They focus on strength-training and cardio programs that last weeks at a time and are usually 30+ minutes per workout. I love this program for fast and steady results, I notice a huge difference even after a week. A 1-year membership is only $99!
- POPSUGAR Fitness– Brought to you by a free YouTube channel, POPSUGAR provides the most fun, challenging and interesting workouts form ALL exercise categories. This platform really gives you the best of both worlds by offering workouts that are quick and effective or intense and more challenging. Best part is that it’s FREE.
Here are my favorite fitness products:
Setting up a Productive Work Station
Try to formalize your work station as much as you can. It will help you get serious and into a rhythm each day and will also add some fun into your day! A few of my favorite desk accessories are below:
Winding Down After Work
Winding down is just as important as ramping up. Below are some cozy essentials for being home and things that have made my day a bit brighter.
I would love to hear how you’re staying productive and motivated at home! Let me know in the comments.
I hope everyone is staying safe, healthy and happy. I know this is such a hard time for everyone but we will get through it together! xx